Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Skeleton Painting/ transfer


I saw this illustration of a skeleton in an old National Geographic, and knew I had to use it in an artwork. I used matt medium on the image side of the magazine and a piece of watercolor paper, used a brayer to evenly distribute the matt medium and waited for it to dry. I then used a damp paper towel to get the back of the magazine page peeled off and show the reversed image.

The skeleton drawing section is from life from the one in class- by the way, I'm so glad I got one for the art room! It's one of my favorite art supplies I purchased for my art classes! I used HB, 2B and 4B pencils and a tortillion to get the values.

The background is in acrylic, using burnt umber, titanium white, burnt sienna, yellow ochre and hooker's green. I first did a layer of flat paint to match the magazine background color. I then, while still wet, added darker accents of burnt sienna and burnt umber and mixed it. To add some visual interest, I added some hints of cadmium red. I also had experimented with painting on top of masking tape and removing it, to add some three dimensional quality to the artwork.

I think I may continue to work on this, integrating more of the drawing with the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment